Monday, May 6, 2013

Wyoming, Sister Wood, Teaching English.....I have decided the people in Billings aren't dead and neither am I. It is all good!

Okay...so I am in Wyoming. I got here on Tuesday. I was really mad about it. I wanted to go home. I didn't like my companion. I cried a lot. It was awful.
 
Burlington is a town with about 300 people in it. There are feilds everywhere and every single person in the entire community is either a farmer, a farm hand, works at the school, or is retired. We cover another torwn called Otto with only about 100 people in it. And then another town that is about 40 miles away called Meeteetse with 400 people in it. Houses are literally miles apart from each other so tracting is kind of out of the question here. On top of us only covering about 900 people total there are 4 wards that we cover Burlington 1st, Burlington 2nd, Otto, and the Meeteetse ward. There are a lot of members here. So I figure that you can relate to my frustration with this because I just really thought that there was no work to be done. They had a baptism last week, and another one this weekend and then like 3 investigators other than that, that by the sounds of them I shouldn't be to hopeful about ever really moving forward with any of them. The very first night that I got here my companion and I got in a huge fight and we yelled at each other, then we both cried and went to sleep. The next day I woke up and I was pretty much just in self-pity. I felt like I had been ripped off and that this was a horrible decision and that I should just go home. Yeah I felt pretty miserable to say the least. We went to a stake RS activity so that we could meet some of the less active members there, and a woman in one of the wards came up to me and was like " You're new." I was like "Oh yeah we just had emergency transfers President really feels like I should be here right now." We just talked for a minute and then I was about ready to burst into tears when she was asking me about Sister Letalu and about Billings and the people there, so I stopped looking at her and just was staring at the floor. Then out of no where she just gave me the hugest hug and was like "I was a missionary too, so it's okay if you cry I know you are having a hard time right now." So I did, I just cried and cried and cried until I just couldn't cry anymore. And she just stood by me and talked with me and let me cry for like 45 minutes and then after I had got it all out I realized that she was still there. LIke she had stood there and just helped me get through my little self-pity crap that I had been going through for the last few days. After that, I realized that there were going to be good people here in Burlington that I hadn't even met yet. I started to realize what an incredible blessing it was for me to be able to be here because I am not loosing everyone in Billings! They aren't dead, and neither am I! Heavenly Father just gave me the opportunity to be here in Burlington and to meet these people and to love these people just as much as I had loved the people in Billings. Then I realized that Sister Wood didn't hate me either. We had both just been so extremely exhausted and emotional from the transfer that we were fighting, and we weren't even fighting about the same thing. So Sister Wood and I are friends now, and I decided that this is going to be something good for me instead of just some incredible amount of pain that God wanted to inflict upon me. So I started Praying instead of just wanting to be sent back to Billings, I started praying to just make it through a few hours at a time. Just to make it to lunch, or just to make it to dinner and to just be able to see Gods hand helping me and lifting me up through out the day. I also just started praying to know why I was here and how I could personally help these people.
 
We teach an English class on Wednesdays and on Thursdays...I bet that you would never have guessed that I would be in the middle of Wyoming teaching an English class! But there are a lot of Spanish speaking people out here who come out to help with peoples farms and they just stay and have their own little plots of land and stuff. So we just are helping them to learn English and to help their kids when they go to school and stuff. Well we taught on Wednesday, but then as I said I was definitely wallowing in self pity so I wasn't in tune with the Spirit of our Heavenly Father. But then we taught on Thursday and we were just trying to help these women learn how to communicate more clearly and I just had this really strong prompting "You need to learn Spanish." So I just thought about it until we were done teaching and then when we got out in the car I looked at Sister Wood and said "Sister Wood, you're gonna learn Spanish with me." Well she had kind of felt the same thing, but didn't really want to learn Spanish so she just shrugged it off for a while. But I know that I am supposed to learn how to teach these people in their language, and Sister Wood is with me so she is learning it with me. Ha ha President Mecham says that it is a great idea, and so we are just going to the pamphlets since we have them in English and in Spanish ha ha and we are just memorizing them and learning what things mean as we go along. We really don't mave many things to help us figure out how to speak it right now, so if anyone has anything that they would like to contribute to the cause of me learning Spanish ha ha it would be greatly appreciated! :) WE can actually say a lot already we can tell people that "God is our loving Heavenly Father. He knows us personally and loves us more than we can comprehend. He wants us to be happy in this life and throughout eternity. to accomplish this he established the gospel of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the son of God' his life and teachings are the way to peace in this life and joy in the eternities. The gospel blesses all those who accept and live it, especially families. God has established families to bring happiness to his children, to teach us correct principles in a loving atmosphere, and to prepare us to return to live with him after we die." :) Pretty good huh? Ha ha Yeah it's been kind of a crazy week.
 
So Mothers day is this Sunday! My companion have talked about it and decided that she would talk to her family on the earlier hour and I would talk to you all on the later hour. Namely 6:30. :) I am soo excited to be able to talk to you all! So here is the deal though, Skype is available for us to use, but being here in Burlington you can imagine that out in the middle of nowhere there isn't really very good internet connection. So I decided that it would be best for me to just call and talk to you on the phone, I feel like we would be able to talk about more and really actually get to talk rather than just worry about skype freezing all the time. You can just put a picture of my face on the computer and pretend that you are skyping me while we talk on the phone ha ha.  So I am going to call and then we can talk for about an hour! :) Yay I can't wait to talk to you all!!!! :)
 
Oh and my new address out here in Wyoming is.
321 Elm St.
P.O. Bos 95
Burlington, WY 82411
So now I can get letters and packages and stuff! :)
 
So all in all, I do love it here ,and I do love my companion. We were actually talking about it yesterday, about how crazy it was that we ever even fought. Like we were yelling at each other and then we just went to sleep. So I can't imagine ever really fighting with her at all ha ha :) We live with members here and guess what their names are! Lowell, and Louise Card. Yeah he has the same name as you dad!!!! It was crazy because I have never met another Lowell besides you and now I am living with one. :) They are pretty sweet! They have served 2 missions together so far, and yesterday they just put their papers in for a third. :) Brother Card plays every stringed instrument known to man and so later today after we go shopping we are going to have a little jam session with his violins since he has like 6 of them. He is building a Banjo....He says that he really doesn't even know what it is supposed to sound like when you play it, but he knows that it isn't right yet. I wouldn't even know where to start with playing a banjo let alone building a banjo! They are awesome and I feel blessed to be living with them. :)
 
Well I love you all! Talk to you on Sunday!!! :D Loves!

-Sister Malynne Erbe

No comments:

Post a Comment